Friday, July 10, 2009

MAIL ORDER TIPS FOR BEGINNERS


Thanks to our great customers, our business is continuing to grow at a 
steady, uphill rate. With this increase in business, we seem to notice the 
beginning of customer complaints about our turnaround time for processing 
orders.

At first, I became "paranoid" and thought I was doing something wrong. 
I forced myself to work 20 hour days, eliminated my social and family life 
completely and ignored anything else that didn't pertain to business. 
Unfortunately, this approach did not solve the problem. I ended up running 
my body down and became so ill I was confined to bed for almost 4 days. 
So, what did I gain?

Then, I received another complaint about our turnaround time a few weeks 
later. But this time, instead of getting "paranoid," I sat back and analyzed 
the situation. The 3 complaint letters had one thing in common _ they were 
all from beginners in mail order. My long-time, repeat customers had not 
complained in the least _ just 3 beginners in mail order.

So, I telephoned one of the people who complained and learned they had 
expected their order within 4-5 days after they mailed their original 
order in. Since it had been 2 weeks since they ordered, they labeled our 
turnaround time as "very poor." It suddenly dawned on me that they were 
expressing the same behavior all beginners experience _ lack of patience! 
But, they aren't entirely at fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment